At the risk of starting a tradition of releasing Bluelog updates on holidays, I’ve decided to push out 1.1.1.
This is the first update of the 1.1.x series, and with it comes some pretty cool new additions which may very well be broken!
At the top of the list is improvement to Bluelog’s memory management that came about while putting it to work on the Raspberry Pi (it’s amazing how working on platforms with limited resources really brings the deficiencies to the surface), and the merging in of libmackerel.
With libmackerel, Bluelog is now able to report device manufacturer in the log files with the “-m” option. As of right now, this feature will only work on generic x86 builds (not Pwn Plug or OpenWRT), but I’ll be working on that. In addition, the device manufacturer will be placed in the log, but DOESN’T show in the verbose output yet.
I’ve got some very big changes ready to be pushed up to GitHub here on my development machine, but I’ll wait a bit and see how this release works before I pull the trigger on those.
Today I’ve released the first version of libmackerel, a GPLv2 library for the manipulation and creation of MAC addresses.
The functions in libmackerel started as parts of Bluelog and Bluefog, but eventually got expanded to the point that it was worth making its own library.
As of today, the development version of Bluelog is using libmackerel, and Bluefog will follow sometime soon. With the libmackerel merge, Bluelog now has the ability to lookup device manufacturers based on MAC OUI (currently x86 only).
Somebody has gone through the trouble of submitting all my released software (even the lame ones) to Softpedia.
Since I am already seeing downloads there and traffic here on the site from it, I take it Softpedia is a service that many people use, so I am glad to see my stuff up there.
“Mobile Hacking with Android” eBook Released
I consider this more of an experiment than anything, but I have just released my most popular 2600 article “Mobile Hacking with Android” for the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook.
I’ve been thinking of trying my hand at writing fiction exclusively for digital distribution, and this has served as something of a learning experience for that. I also plan on documenting my experience with creating this eBook in the near future.
The Bluelog 1.1.0 packages should be popping up in the OpenWRT repos in the near future. I would be interested in hearing how well it does/doesn’t work for anyone.
Not making a big deal of this, but Bluefog just got its version bumped to 0.0.3. This version features many internal fixes and improvements, as well as the start of proper signal handling in a multi-threaded environment.
Which all means it will (probably) work a little better.
Ho Ho Ho!
I was looking at my release timeline and noticed that it was just about 6 months since the last stable Bluelog release, and thought it would be a nice gift for the holidays to push out a new build (especially since the world didn’t end).
But what’s this? Skipped version numbers??
That’s right, this normally would have been 1.0.5, but I decided to release this as 1.1 since there are going to be some rather large changes happening in the near future.
After 1.1, I plan on doing some rewrites of parts of Bluelog, as well as hopefully knocking a few other things off my TODO list. So I would expect some more frequent releases as I fix/break things in the 1.1.x branch.
But 1.2 should be all the better for it!
Today I’ve added a new section to DigiFAIL, “Hacks”. These will be small little modifications or projects I’ve done, things that don’t really deserve the long form treatment that the “Projects” do.
The first entry in this new section is the modification I made to my Sony Blu-ray player, which adds internal storage for use with BD movies with downloadable content.
Since it’s the end of the world and all, I thought I would take the wraps off of my latest project.
Bluefog is the antithesis of Bluelog. While Bluelog is designed to quickly and accurately determine how many Bluetooth devices there are in the local area, Bluefog is designed to confound such efforts by generating large numbers of phantom Bluetooth devices.
To do this, Bluefog can run parallel tasks on up to 4 physical Bluetooth adapters, and uses real-world data collected from my Bluetooth scanning experimentation to seed the spoofed devices.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
bt_rng dev resumed, now on github
Since I’ve been having fun on github, I’ve brought bt_rng back from the grave. Its been two years since I worked on the thing, and it shows. There are plenty of mistakes and bizarre choices in the code, and it took me most of last night just to get it working properly without buffer overflows.
I’m going to call this new line of development the 3.x series, since it’s something of a re-write. You can follow development on its github page: